Thursday, November 17, 2005

Dream A Little Dream

A freezing winter day 94/95. It snowed so much, I hardly made it to the studio. My assistant engineer and I decided to wait for the two bands we had booked for that day in the cafe across the studio. I don't remember how long we waited, but neither of the bands ever showed up - they were stuck in the snow somewhere.

So I had another cup of Melange and suddenly this song popped up in my head. It was all there, the music, the words, everything. I asked the waitress for a pen and wrote down the words on a napkin as fast as I could. About ten minutes later we got up and left for the studio.

We recorded it in one take. I loved that old piano they had in that studio. It was a little bit out of tune, the mechanics were faulty, but it had soul. We positioned the mics so you can hear my fingers tapping on the keys a bit. We actually did a few more takes, because my vocals were way flat here and there, but I didn't like any of them. They just sounded to rehearsed, I don't know. Sometimes less perfect is more beautiful.

Piano and vocals performed and recorded by Randy A. Written by Randy A.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home